Sunday 26 June 2016

Brexit .... a dog's breakfast

24 June 2016

Back to Spain.

Up at 0330. The taxi was early.

In the car, "How's the Referendim going?"  I asked

" Leave are ahead".

"Oh God".

"How did you vote?"  I asked.

"Remain, of course" he said. "I am an imigrant".

His voice  had a very slight Mediterranean twang.

"I came here from Italy 17 years ago. I have had 3 children here".

" I am very sorry" I replied "We voted Remain as well".



Gatwick was pretty much the same as usual, perhaps a little busy for 0400.

The anti - terrorism technology had been updated and seemed as pointless as ever.

A guard flipped through my passport presumably looking for a concealed weapon. A razor blade perhaps.

The officials were universally polite efficient and from the continent.



I watched the TV in the departures lounge

"It's very bad" said a friendly man of about 45 to my left

"Yes"

"They didn't understand what they were voting about."

"No!"



Few else of the travellers seemed bothered. Far more were watching another screen with something entertaining on it



At Santiago de Compostela airport we asked the young man at Information about taxis

"Where are you from?"

"England" I said. "I am ashamed, I am very sorry" slipped from my lips.

The nice man shrugged sympathetically.



We caught a taxi and sat in silence for the long drive to Muxia.



The marina manager was serving petrol. He stopped to greet us. We shook hands

"You are leaving" he said. "And Scotland will then leave you" he shrugged.

"I am ashamed" I replied. "I am sorry, it is crazy. We must be mad"

"The world is a mad place" he reassured me ruefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment